Therapeutic massage is the oldest way that we use to alleviate pain. The term therapeutic massage encompasses a whole range of massage techniques that are used in the treatment of neuromuscular and skeletal muscle disorders. They are also used to relieve stress and negative moods, as they stimulate the organic production of endorphins.
However, when we speak strictly of the term therapeutic massage, reference is made to the massage modality intended for the treatment of pathological processes in injured individuals.
The therapeutic effect of this massage is used to improve circulatory function, restore the mobility of damaged muscle tissues, relieve or reduce pain, provide well-being and relaxation.
From this perspective, therapeutic massage has different applications that include, among others:
- All types of muscular ailments and injuries.
- Processes of physical recovery after periods of immobilisation or forced inactivity.
- Elimination of fluid retention.
- Localised fat removal treatments.
- Maintain muscular elasticity.
- Fight nervous tension.
- Avoid insomnia.
- Increase energy and vitality.
- Encourage digestion and avoid constipation.
- Combat fatigue.
- Correct postural problems.
When starting the massage, the therapist evaluates the muscles: contractures, tension. This assessment is done by a gentle rub but very precise in order to assess and prepare the musculature.
During Therapeutic Massage it is usual to stretch and apply rotations to reach a deeper muscle level. It is very important, to detect from the beginning the origin of the pain, differentiating mechanical, defensive, thermal or emotional contractures. If we do not find out its origin, we will remove the contractures but they will reappear.
Some of the types of therapeutic massages are:
- Sports massage: indicated in people who frequent a sport activity and need an energetic massage, that activates the muscles and, depending on the case, helps to heal injuries and improve recovery.
- Circulatory massage: indicated in people with a poor blood circulation, which has to increase its irrigation.
- Californian massage: indicated in very nervous people who need to relieve stress caused by their lifestyle.